Chimney work phase 1
by VoatWelding on September 10, 2017

Did some emergency repairs on my 150yo chimney. I burned wood for 1 winter & had water infiltration issues like liquid creosote coming out of the steel pipe inside by the spring. The joys of renovating an old place :) First step was fixing the mortar & loose bricks at the base of the chimney to make it last until I redo the whole roof in a few years. Soon I'll be making a new chimney cap as the old one was rusted out & folded over. That's where all the rust stains came from. It needs a liner as well, will post in /v/welding as I'm going full stainless steel on those projects.

This was taken two years ago when I bought the church. If you zoom in you can see the chimney showing signs of deterioration.
By spring time this year the chimney cap had rusted out & folded over.
I took out the loose bricks & chiseled out the bad mortar all the way down. You can see all the rust stains from the chimney cap dripping water on the brick.
I only left one old mortar patch for structural assurance.
Found a cheap rubber bucket for 15$, I recommend this for any small mortar job.
Scaffolding stages nicely braced to the roof
Filled this with water to rinse & wet the brick before doing the repointing.
Started early in the morning so I could avoid the afternoon heat by a tin roof
First stage, repointed all 4 sides
By noon I had wet the brick & wrapped it up with a silicone/fiberglass tarp,In the evening I went back up to finish the top row of loose bricks.
 
About Privacy